Since The Giver movie comes out in only a few more months (four and a half), I though that I might tell you a few little known facts about the movie!
- A quote from Lois Lowry about the Giver movie: “The film rights have been out there for 15 years now,” she said. “And every now and then, some big studio gets involved, and some major player gets involved. And then time passes, and it all collapses again…So it’s out there, and I should be feeling excited, as if now is the time it’s actually going to be made. But this has happened so often before that I’ve become kind of sanguine about it.”
- The movie is in full color. There will be no black and white parts like in the book.
- The pills that community members take every morning have been changed to injections.
- Jonas has been changed to 16 instead of 12.
- Fiona and Jonas have a bit more than a flirtation in the movie. “In the book, the younger pubescent Jonas has a flirtation with a young girl of his age. That’s almost a love affair in the film,” explains Noyce. (Phillip Noyce is the director).
- Jeff Bridges on Lois Lowry's involvement: “I was happy to hear from Lois that she wasn’t so concerned about all the facts being the same as in the book,” says Bridges. “The spirit of the story is there.”
- The summary from Movie Insider: In a perfect world where there is no conflict, racism or sickness, every member of society has a specific role, and 16-year-old Jonas is selected to be the Receiver of Memories. As Jonas uncovers the truth behind his world's past, he discovers that many years earlier his forefathers gave up humanity in order to have a stable society.
- Taylor Swift is in the trailer, but only for a second (0:44). Her hair is brown to play Rosemary.